In the 1960s, the
Okanagan Historical Society
took on the task of preserving
the historic Pandosy Mission site on Benvoulin Road in Kelowna. It was here
that Father Pandosy, an Oblate priest, established the first white settlement
in the Okanagan Valley in 1859.
Many of the buildings had fallen in disrepair.
Work parties from the historical society and the Knights of Columbus have
laboured over the years to restore four of the original buildings, the Chapel,
the Root-House, the Barn and the Brothers House. Four other historic buildings
have been moved to the site.
Today, it is jointly administered by the Okanagan Historical Society and the
Catholic Church. The property remains in the hands of the Catholic Church.
There is a caretaker on site and the grounds are open to the public from dawn
to dusk from Easter to Thanksgiving. Admission is by donation.
Kelowna artist Crystal Przybille is wroking with the Okanagan HIstorical Society to create a public, life-sized bronze sculpture of Father Pandosy. For more information, or to make a donation towards this special project, please see the Father Pandsoy Mission 150th Anniversary Commemorative Sculpture website.